Sundays with Joy was developed by Carrie of Bakeaholic Mama. Each week, a group of food bloggers pick a recipe from the Joy the Baker Cookbook. You have the option of making it according to Joy’s instruction, or you can put your own spin on it.
For my first go around, I did a bit of both. Wanting to pay homage to the fantastic Joy the Baker (this soup: make it), I halved her recipe and made it according to her instructions. For the other half of the batch, I wanted to make a gluten-free and Paleo version. I swapped out the white potato for sweet potato, and replaced the white flour with almond flour. Both kinds are pictured here.
My Paleo zucchini sweet potato cakes were slightly different in texture from the original recipe, but I attribute that to my not draining enough of the liquid from the zucchini/sweet potato mixture.
To make a full batch of gluten-free zucchini and sweet potato pancakes, follow this recipe:
|Zucchini and Sweet Potato Pancakes||
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 2 cups peeled and grated sweet potato (or yam)
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- sour cream or plain Greek yogurt (what I used) for topping
- smoked paprika for topping
- Using 2 tbsp olive oil, sauté onions in a pan over medium heat until translucent. Add garlic, and sauté one more minute. Remove onions and garlic from pan and set aside.
- Place zucchini and sweet potato in a colander with 1/2 tsp salt and let drain over a large bowl for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, squeeze as much liquid as possible out of the mixture using a clean towel.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Stir in almond flour, baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt. Add in cooked garlic and onions, and zucchini/sweet potato mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F and place rack in upper third of oven. Set baking sheet or pan on rack.
- In the same sauté pan used to cook garlic and onions, heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Using your hands, form mixture into patties of desired size, squeezing out any excess liquid in the process. Cook about 2 minutes on each side until golden brown. Remove from pan and place on baking sheet in oven until ready to serve.
- Top cakes with Greek yogurt (or sour cream) and sprinkle with paprika to taste, or simply serve without topping.
For the original recipe, check out the <a href=”http://www.amazon.com/Joy-Baker-Cookbook-Comforting-Recipes/dp/1401310605/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335722218&sr=8-1″ data-mce-href=”http://www.amazon.com/Joy-Baker-Cookbook-Comforting-Recipes/dp/1401310605/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335722218&sr=8-1″>Joy the Baker Cookbook: 100 Simple and Comforting Recipes</a>.
Be sure to visit Bakeaholic Mama to check out the rest of this week’s Sundays with Joy recipes!