I’m using this post to kick off a little something I like to refer to as bacon week here on Studio Cuisine (Alex, thank you for this brilliant idea). Up until about January of this year, I couldn’t even stand the smell of bacon. My freshman year roommate in college probably hated me because of the big stink I put up whenever she made it in the microwave (which was a rare occurrence, by the way). Gillian, if you’re reading this, I’m so sorry! You officially have permission to stick a “kick me” sign to my back, because I am now a hypocrite. If you’re ever in DC, there’s an open invitation to come over and make bacon to your heart’s content.
As a disclaimer, I have no intention of offending anyone with this statement. But you guys, this guacamole, it’s a religious experience. Chunky, creamy, and salty in all the right ways. As a person who can’t even eat yogurt without something mixed in (also known as a food texture freak), I can safely report back that the texture of this guacamole is per-fec-tion. The secret to this texture comes from one of my favorite Paleo blogs, Nom Nom Paleo (bacon and guac sammies, anyone?). You must mash half of your avocado, and cut the other half into chunks.Do yourself a flavor and pile a giant scoop of this on top of an omelette. It gets you your avocado AND bacon fix, all-in-one! What could be better than versatility in a recipe?
To all my non-bacon-loving friends, I apologize.
|Chunky Bacon Guacamole||
- 2 whole large avocados
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 3 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Using a fork, mash one of your avocados in a small bowl. Cut the other avocado into bite-sized chunks and set aside.
- Stir in onion, garlic, cilantro, bacon, and lemon juice.
- Lastly, gently fold in bite-sized avocado chunks.
DO NOT add salt without tasting guacamole first! For me, the bacon added plenty of saltiness.
After making this recipe, I found out plenty of others have come up with their own version of bacon guacamole, check out some of their creations (as well as other noteworthy guacamole) here:
- Bacon Guacamole from Closet Cooking
- Bacon Guacamole from Savoring the Thyme
- Plumped Up Kale Guacamole from Katie Did
- Bacon Avocado Spread from I Am Baker